Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Q: Language?

What should we be doing to start learning language, Dene and Rachel?

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the question Joyce. We've done a tiny bit on language with Louise, and prior to that we generally agreed that
    * Japanese people appreciate foreigners taking the effort
    * We will be called on to intro ourselves in various contexts, so it would be good to learn the equivalent of the following:

    "Nice to meet you. My name is Joyce. I come from Australia, but was born in Malaysia. I am a student of medicine. I am visiting Japan to learn about it's culture. I am a Christian, and want to meet Japanese Christians. I look forward to our relationship"

    (that last bit is a loose translation of the polite way to finish off a self introduction).

    Here's how I'd say up to the word "Malaysia" above (i get less certain of the 'proper' way as the sentences progress!):

    "Hajime mashite. Watashi wa Joisu desu. Osutoraria no desu ga, Mare-shia de umaretsuki"

    Google translate says that the last sentence above means "I am in Australia but born in Malaysia."

    I'll have to consult Shinya and Masa for help. Do you think we should ask them for some lessons?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I reckon we should definitely ask them for lessons that would be fun! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. i think a lesson on introducing yourself would be the way to go

    ReplyDelete